Nov 26, 2011

D'Hut - The treasure house of World Handicrafts .....

     D'Hut is a store on the ECR Road, Chennai that sells a wide variety of handicrafts sourced from all over the world. Run by young couple, Neethirajan and Reshuma who are passionate about art , this shop is an one stop destination for buying  hand crafted items. What looks like a quaint little shop from the outside is actually a two-storage treasure house of hand made products and as you enter the shop, you will soon be spell bound by the amazing range of items they have to offer. The store was initially started  to exhibit African masks and now has various handmade artifacts from Kenya, Ghana, Tanzania, USA, Indonesia, Thailand, China, SriLanka and many more countries which include mirrors, wall hangings, figurines, gift items, candle holders etc.,

     This is what Neethirajan says about his shop ... " D'Hut basically has collections of handicrafts from all over the world, especially African masks. It was an outcome of my personal collection when i sailed to the African sub-continent as a marine engineer. The beauty and uniqueness of these masks made me a compulsive buyer till my collection could not fit in the house any more. The collections slowly began to include artifacts from Iran, Papua New Guinea, South America and other countries. 
It was then that my wife and I decided to exhibit them in a shop which we later named D'Hut  keeping in mind the nature of origin of the items. We were pleasantly surprised to see that  many more people enjoyed and shared our appreciation of these artifacts. As a shop we also took into account the likings and preferences of our customers. And so we now also have a variety of things from Java, Indonesia, Thailand, Srilanka and of course India.
We  are now working upon adding more rare and interesting things to the collection. And of course when one piece sells I am able to keep my passion for buying them alive by replacing it with another piece.
We hope this helps in preventing the cultural art of different countries from disappearing and can be enjoyed and appreciated by our future generations."
 






























     
All Image Copyrights belong to Liven Things Up - Please do not re-use without permission.

The items that we purchased for our home from D'Hut have become a favorite among our family members and the best thing that I like about this shop is the variety of items they have to offer, the customer service the and of course the "affordable prices ".  So if you ever visit Chennai, don't miss out this shop - It's a great place to shop both Indian and world handicrafts at reasonable prices - And don't forget to ask them to show their two-floored storage house too ....!!

I am linking this post to the blog party :  "My favorite Things " at Colours Dekor.

23 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! What an amazing collection... truly a collector's delight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pics, Em! Lovely lovely stuff....the giraffe is so cute :-) as are all the others! I have a blog award waiting for you..pick it up at my blog...congrats dear and all the best for even more great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emreen, lovely post! Would love to get my hands on some batik masks.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. D'Hut has a fascinating range of products, it must be very interesting shopping there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pieces and such variety..wow...thanks for sharing the store profile :")

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a unique and interesting assortment! Thank you for sharing!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emreen, Wow..each pics are eye candy. I so wat colorful budhha art :)thanx for wonderful comment and I had answered ur photography que but here again...I somemtime use Lamo-ish effect of Picnik on night shots. the key is try diff effect and if not satisfied undo:) I have just started learning so I play around when I have time:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing blog! You have the most incredible things, I just love things from India and everything about it. I follow Parmahansa Yogannanda teachings and meditation for 30 years or more. I love the figure of the lady resting, that is fabulous and so tipical. Thank you for your lovely and generous visit to my blog and for the party invitation, I so love parties. Lots of hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband had a ceramic factory and some of the things I have for Christmas and many other tableware were made at our ceramic co., YOU COULD SEE THEM IN MY tHANKSGIVING tablescape, so I love what you have in your header...is that also Indian? Beautiful! FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! this seems to be a nice shop. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. have been there long back...oh my ghosh!! they ve got fantastic collections now...creative stuff and the owners are great to present us such wonderful pieces...

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very interesting global store! The masks are fascinating. Would love to check out this place, thanks for sharing Emreen..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh! Definitely have to visit this place the next time I'm home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an amazing display! Every item is so interesting! Thanks for the introduction...it would be so nice to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the dragonfly and the frogs! What an interesting shop! New follower. Stop by & follow me, too. Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/.
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great shop! It reminds me of a place we have here called Ten Thousand Villages. It too carries handcrafted items from all over the world. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to visit this shop on my next visit to Chennai...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous collection! I will definitely mark this shop for my next visit to Chennai.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE those little elephants! My dad took me to ride an elephant when I was little and fell in love with them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great information on Handicraft products, I believe that the post has perfect collection of words and a well research. Its awesome! Thanks for sharing. Waiting for next.

    ReplyDelete
  21. do you have an online store where I could browse through some of the products and pay through netbanking?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Preethi, Please contact Mr.Neethirajan via FB (http://www.facebook.com/dhut.worldhandicrafts?sk=wall)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to share your suggestions and thoughts with me..!! Hope you enjoyed reading my blog..;-) ;-)